Do I Qualify for the First Home Owners Grant?
To be eligible for the FHOG you have to satisfy the following criteria:
- You have never owned a residential property in Australia.
- You have never received a FHOG from any other state or territory in Australia.
- You are 18 years of age or older.
- You are an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- At least one applicant will occupy the home as their principal place of residence for a continuous period of 6 months, commencing within 12 months of settlement or construction of the home.
- Each applicant has entered into a contract for the purchase of a home or signed a contract to build a home on or after 1 July 2000.
If you’re about to be a first homebuyer but are looking to buy instead of build, you are still eligible for part of the grant from the government (given you fit the criteria above).